My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Keyboard Issue with iOS 11

Post by rbytes »

Mr. K., Ton, Henk, George and any others who read this, I would appreciate it if you would check my latest Bug Report regarding Apple’s changes to the US and Canadian standard keyboards in iOS 11. I haven’t heard whether the problem extends to European keyboards, but it is hard for me to understand why Apple would change essential characters on ANY keyboards.

Their decision will play havoc with most programming apps on iOS. For now I have a workaround - I copy and paste every quote and apostrophe from existing programs into new ones! If I don’t, I get a whole series of syntax errors. This is a disincentive to write anything new in Smart Basic until either Apple reverses their changes or Smart Basic is adapted to work with them.

For more details, please look at my post in Bug Reports. I think you will be as surprised as I am at the new ASCII characters they have selected for the quote and apostrophe on North American keyboards.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

DrChip
My devices: iPhone 4 to 6+,iPad mini to iPad air 2

Re: Keyboard Issue with iOS 11

Post by DrChip »

Hold down the ' button and it will give you options. You can select the correct quote. It frustrated me at first too! :)

Henko
My devices: iPhone,iPad
Windows
Flag: Netherlands

Post by Henko »

Write a tiny program that substitutes the proper tokens in a source file. Your program "substitute" contains too many quotes to replace them manually. I'll stick to 10.3.3 for the time being.

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

Sure, I can do that, but it is meaningless extra work thanks to Apple. I am beginning to understand why Mr. K. is disenchanted with them. “Reason? We don’t need a reason.”

DrChip
My devices: iPhone 4 to 6+,iPad mini to iPad air 2

Post by DrChip »

It’s the same in iOS 11.1 beta 1 too! Apple isn’t going to change it.

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

Thanks for the keyboard reminder, Dr. Chip. It is just so senseless that Apple changed the default characters from what has been standard for years. If they wanted to introduce new versions, then those should be the ones to appear when the keys are held. This is doubly frustrating now that in iOS 11 can do a downward swipe on a letter key to get a quote character or apostrophe - except they are the wrong ones!

Dutchman
My devices: iMac, iPad Air, iPhone
Flag: Netherlands

Post by Dutchman »

rbytes wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 pm
Mr. K., Ton, Henk, George and any others who read this, I would appreciate it if you would check my latest Bug Report regarding Apple’s changes to the US and Canadian standard keyboards in iOS 11.
I have learned to wait with updates as long as Apple allows. At last they will force it anyhow!
My last update of iTunes was a disaster. No backups anymore! :shock:
The complete disaster will come if SmartBasic is no longer operational. It happened already with the app Basic! :evil:

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Linux i386
Windows 7 & 10
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn »

It seems that both iOS 11 and the new version of SB are really going to make it useless for me, so I am looking to turn off all updates, and try and back up my apps to iTunes on my PC so if God forbid I have to restore any of it, I can without having to lose the functionality that I need.

Henko wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 pm
Write a tiny program that substitutes the proper tokens in a source file. Your program "substitute" contains too many quotes to replace them manually. I'll stick to 10.3.3 for the time being.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Linux i386
Windows 7 & 10
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn »

I have a question to Mr. K.

Instead of updating the existing SmartBASIC, can you give the new update a brand new name, and offer both?

Can you name it something else so it keeps the current basic out there? If I need the updates, I have no problems paying for it again and running two versions of it.

Call it iOSBASIC and submit it as a new program to Apple, and that will keep the current SmartBASIC program in iTunes, and anyone who needs the updates can purchase it again. $4.99 is something I can afford, even living on fixed income (disability) and then I can have the best of both worlds.

George.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

GeorgeMcGinn wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 pm
I have a question to Mr. K.

Instead of updating the existing SmartBASIC, can you give the new update a brand new name, and offer both?

Can you name it something else so it keeps the current basic out there? If I need the updates, I have no problems paying for it again and running two versions of it.

Call it iOSBASIC and submit it as a new program to Apple, and that will keep the current SmartBASIC program in iTunes, and anyone who needs the updates can purchase it again. $4.99 is something I can afford, even living on fixed income (disability) and then I can have the best of both worlds.

George.
All those users who own sB and update iOS to 11 will get unusable software. So they will demand an update.