Saving png with program file

tampadancing
My devices: iPad Pro
iPhone se

Saving png with program file

Post by tampadancing »

Has anyone found a way to save a program and all related files (say sprite PNG files for example) in one file for air drop or email sharing?
It is great to share programs with my grandkids in their teens. When we are together, air dropping the program file between us is quick and easy, though airdropping related sprites (PNG files) is not as simple. Air dropping PNG goes to their photos,which is where you want photos to go in every case except when transferring a program. It takes another program to get the photos into Smart Basic.
I have found that renaming the PNG files to TXT files, then air dropping (which air drops them to Smart Basic), then renaming to PNG is the quickest way to accomplish the task. If a program has six or eight sprites, that can be a little cumbersome.

Just wanted to know if I was missing something obvious on how to transfer a program and all related files directly from device to a friends device without going through what I described above.

Thank you !

p.s. I love Smart Basic!

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Re: Saving png with program file

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

It is very easy.

In smart BASIC:
1. Create a folder.
2. Copy all program files (PNG files, text files, whatever) into this folder.
3. Select this folder.
4. Share this folder using airdrop with another device.

On another device:
5. Accept share into smart BASIC.

Now you get your folder with all files in it in smart BASIC on another device.

Note that if all your program files are already in some folder then you don't need steps 1 and 2, you can begin with step 3 by selecting this folder.

tampadancing
My devices: iPad Pro
iPhone se

Post by tampadancing »

Yes, that is easy. Thank you!

gombey2001
My devices: iphone 13 and ipad
Flag: United States of America

Post by gombey2001 »

This method used to work, but doesn't anymore.
In the past, I was able transfer a SB folder to another IOS device (that has SB) using AirDrop.
The receiving device would prompt "Open in SmartBasic".... That option doesn't appear anymore.
Instead, the receiving device deposits only some of the folder's .txt files in the Files App...

Has this method of exporting/importing entire folders from one IOS SB to another been discontinued?

Thanks...

Mr. Kibernetik wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:21 pm
It is very easy.

In smart BASIC:
1. Create a folder.
2. Copy all program files (PNG files, text files, whatever) into this folder.
3. Select this folder.
4. Share this folder using airdrop with another device.

On another device:
5. Accept share into smart BASIC.

Now you get your folder with all files in it in smart BASIC on another device.

Note that if all your program files are already in some folder then you don't need steps 1 and 2, you can begin with step 3 by selecting this folder.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Now it always AirDrops a folder to Files app. Then I select this folder in Files and share it with Basic.

gombey2001
My devices: iphone 13 and ipad
Flag: United States of America

Post by gombey2001 »

Thank you so much. I found my problem....And yes Mr. Kibernetik, you are absolutely correct. There's nothing wrong with SB folder transfers.

Here was my issue:
I SHARED the folder from SB to my new iOS device and pressed SAVE (which correctly stored the new folder in the iCloud folder)
From there, I selected the folder in iCloud and pressed SHARE. But, SB was not one of the apps listed to share with.

Here was the solution: My new folder's pulldown list showed the default option of "Collaborate". When I changed that to "Send Copy", SB appeared with the other apps. When I selected "Send Copy" , SB appeared as one of the apps to send it to and it transferred perfectly.
From now on when transferring folders, the default is always "Send Copy" instead of "Collaborate", AND SB is always listed as an destination app.

I hope this helps a newbie struggling with the same issue on a first-time transfer from an SB folder to a new device.

Thank you for a wonderful product, and for the great support on this forum.

Gombey!
Mr. Kibernetik wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:32 am
Now it always AirDrops a folder to Files app. Then I select this folder in Files and share it with Basic.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

gombey2001 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:21 pm
Here was the solution: My new folder's pulldown list showed the default option of "Collaborate". When I changed that to "Send Copy", SB appeared with the other apps. When I selected "Send Copy" , SB appeared as one of the apps to send it to and it transferred perfectly.
From now on when transferring folders, the default is always "Send Copy" instead of "Collaborate", AND SB is always listed as an destination app.
Thank you for your comments!