My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Could GitHub be the Smart Basic solution

Post by rbytes »

A few months ago I thought we were very close to a solution that would allow for Smart Basic updates to be posted without the Dropbox feature. But the solutions that were proposed required a website available to all users where they could post items for downloading, and the Forum was ruled off limits for that kind of traffic.

What about GitHub? Does anyone have any experience setting up a section or a project? It seems to be completely free, and a number of iOS language apps have their own pages on GitHub with programs posted by users and available for downloading. One example is Pythonista, which I was into for a while until I discovered Smart Basic.

If I get encouragement from any of you, I would be willing to explore this possibility further.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

Henko
My devices: iPhone,iPad
Windows
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Could GitHub be the Smart Basic solution

Post by Henko »

I fear that using Github for up- and downloading files directly from and to the SB sandbox is not permitted either. What is the difference between any website "available" to SB users and Github?

But think about the possibility to put one's PC or MAC in between SB on the iOS device and Github (or even Dropbox for that matter).

Traffic between SB and the local PC/MAC via wifi cannot be forbidden.

Like the method for printing reports, a webserver program could be made on the local PC/MAC.
This server recieves a request from SB (using the HTTP command) and is dedicated to get requested files from Github or Dropbox using FTP or whatever method. The PC/MAC server gets the file from internet. The SB commands:
HTTP "google.com/images/logo.png" GETDIM m
FILE "google.png" WRITEDIM m
are then used to transfer the file from the PC/MAC to the SB sandbox.
(Of course the Google adress stuff will be changed into the IP adress of the local PC/MAC.

The only "manual" action is that the PC/MAC and the webserver program must be running.

In this way, the one direct method that is forbidden, is split into two steps, each of which cannot possibly be objected.

Henko
Windows

Post by Henko »

If it works, another advantage is that we need not try to "hide" the actual data within other "accepted" filetypes.

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

I have no doubt your solution would work. But now it adds an additional requirement that every user of Smart Basic must own a second computer. Not a problem for you and me. But is this a realistic expectation for every user? In the end, the one person who would need convincing is Mr. K.

As to whyGitHub is different from any other website, it is designed entirely for sharing code, and has features for quickly searching, copying and downloading. As I learned on further investigation today, it has both free and paid subscriptions. But the free subscriptions don't allow private areas for individuals to store data they don't want shared.

If someone else could provide web space and guarantee free use of it indefinitely, that might be an even better solution. We have the tools now for any user to post code, images, music and other files to such a website, and from there to import them into Smart Basic.

Henko
Windows

Post by Henko »

If Github is focussed on source code, can it then be used for things like pictures ? I don't know; never used Github.

The payd version is likely meant for professional programmers. I would not need a personal, non public space.

I think it is higly unlikely that SB programmers exist who don't have a PC or MAC. But theoretically you are right.

You state that the tools are already there. What is the problem then?

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

Only Mr. K can answer your question. We have now been many months without SB updates. If he is satisfied with this status quo, then there is nothing any of us can propose that will resolve the issue. We need information from him regarding his view of SB's future, and the relative value of finding a Dropbox alternative. Otherwise, there is little point in spending any time testing SB upload/download tools on GitHub, SourceForge, or similar sites.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

rbytes wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:14 pm
We need information from him regarding his view of SB's future
Currently sB is "as is" and there are no specific plans for the future.

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Linux i386
Windows 7 & 10
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn »

Yes, GitHub and Sourceforge can be used to download source code and files to SB IDE.

What is the problem Henko?

I have designed specs for this and since this would be a large project, I have a thread out there and none of you had any interest in helping me develop it. I have developed a process and tested another product for images, and you can even use GNUZIP files.

You talk and bemoan the future and ignored my solution. But I have a solution for our Dropbox issue but none of you cared.

Now you are panicking. When it is done, you can buy the .cod (codepass file) from me when I am ready to release it. It will cost $29.99 a year, as I will have to put my dedicated server back online, and you will need access to it.

Otherwise while I enjoy no longer relying on Dropbox, those who could have been a part of helping me design and develop it will have to pay me for a license that will have a time expiration built in it.

Sorry, but you brought this on yourselves.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Henko
Windows

Post by Henko »

GeorgeMcGinn wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:37 am
Yes, GitHub and Sourceforge can be used to download source code and files to SB IDE.

What is the problem Henko?

I have designed specs for this and since this would be a large project, I have a thread out there and none of you had any interest in helping me develop it. I have developed a process and tested another product for images, and you can even use GNUZIP files.

You talk and bemoan the future and ignored my solution. But I have a solution for our Dropbox issue but none of you cared.

Now you are panicking. When it is done, you can buy the .cod (codepass file) from me when I am ready to release it. It will cost $29.99 a year, as I will have to put my dedicated server back online, and you will need access to it.

Otherwise while I enjoy no longer relying on Dropbox, those who could have been a part of helping me design and develop it will have to pay me for a license that will have a time expiration built in it.

Sorry, but you brought this on yourselves.
:o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bemoaning the future...., panicking :D .... we brought this on ourselves.....
My God, George, we should be glad to have you back on the forum, but this reaction sounds like a bye bye.
I will not say more, as English is not my mother language, and I might express myself wrongly.

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Linux i386
Windows 7 & 10
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn »

Naw, it's not a goodbye. Just voicing frustration. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing. We all do it sometimes!

I have many good friends here and sometimes I just need to blow off steam. We all have moments like that.

Anyway, my move to my new home July 26th initially went fine, but I went on a journey that so far hasn't stop. Hospitalized twice, including having a 70-75lb box fall on and broke and crushed two toes, left edge of left foot with at least a dozen hairline fractures. ID stolen, truck broke down, cost me $750 to fix, to recently lost Internet for 6 days, and found out one of my close friend committed suicide, plus my back and hip are getting worse.

Anyway, I plan to release my system in stages, and the first release will be storing options for source code, projects, and photos and files. I just got my own copy of phpBB which once I get my budget back in line, I will put a new web-server on the Internet, and you can use that site to upload all the source and assets that goes with your project.

GitHub should be ready, and I am looking into possibly installing that on my server as well, if they agree. Their source was open source, but Microsoft bought GitHub (last I heard) and their corporate philosophy is to remove open source apps and put up a paywall. If I can get that on my server, then we can create private libraries not available to non-members (those who do not own SmartBASIC).

Coding the real-time debugging IDE will take the longest to code, but I can also release this in phases.

I definitely don't plan to go away, hopefully if things go well by next July!

Henko wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am
:o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bemoaning the future...., panicking :D .... we brought this on ourselves.....
My God, George, we should be glad to have you back on the forum, but this reaction sounds like a bye bye.
I will not say more, as English is not my mother language, and I might express myself wrongly.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)