Disconnect dropbox

MarkP

Disconnect dropbox

Post by MarkP »

I have a friend with whom I want to share smart BASIC program files via dropbox.

On his device, using smart BASIC, we signed into MY Dropbox account to copy the files to his local smart basic app.

Now, we want to disconnect from my dropbox account and connect to his dropbox account on his I-device.

Is there a way from smart BASIC to disconnect from the current dropbox, so that you can connect to a new dropbox?

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Re: Disconnect dropbox

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

As far as I know, Dropbox accounts are managed by standalone Dropbox application. This should include connecting and disconnecting from account.

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

The Dropbox dialog box is invoked the first time the SB user presses the Dropbox icon after invoking "option Dropbox on".

No other control is allowed from SB. Using "option Dropbox off" and then "option Dropbox on" bypasses the sign-in, because that has already been done.

The Dropbox app itself is totally independent of SB, and has no effect at all.

In fact, even TOTALLY REINSTALLING SB from the App Store causes all local files to be deleted (as expected), but it still KEEPS the SB-Dropbox connection.

The only way that I have been able to disconnect the Dropbox connection from SB is to erase the phone (and data) and THEN reinstall SB.

This, of course, erases the local files that were downloaded from Dropbox in the first place.

Any suggestions are welcome here.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Previously logging out of Dropbox account in Dropbox application disconnected smart BASIC account from Dropbox. This way Dropbox accounts could be changed or disconnected in smart BASIC.

Currently it seems that smart BASIC is not 100% compatible with Dropbox.
You can disconnect smart BASIC application from Dropbox account on www.dropbox.com website in your account settings, but it will not be possible to connect smart BASIC again to Dropbox.

Seems that smart BASIC should be updated, and it will have no more Dropbox integration in next version.

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

That is understandable that next version of SmartBasic will not have Dropbox support, as that is what Apple requires.

However, may I suggest that you release it as a NEW app, "SmartBasic 6" (slightly different icon), and leave the old one in the App Store also. If both apps shared the same "file sandbox", we would have a choice. We could use version 5.8 to use Dropbox, or use version 6 to do programming with many bugs fixed but no Dropbox.

I, like most users, would be happy to pay the additional price for the new app.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

It is not possible to share the same file sandbox by two different applications.

Currently I see only one option: to release new application and to remove old version from App Store.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Ok.
Old version of smart BASIC is removed from App Store.

New version 6.0 is released as a new "BASIC" programming language application.
This is a refurbished "smart BASIC", with Dropbox removed. All known bugs are fixed. It is made 100% compliant with modern Apple guidelines.

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Ok, I realize that it's too late now, as you have already removed the old SB app from the App Store, but ...

It is DEFINITELY POSSIBLE to have two apps share the same app sandbox.

In fact, the popular programming editor app, Textastic, did exactly that. Their new version "Textastic 6" was released as a new purchase from the older version. It used the same icon and sandbox, but when purchased, it was installed on the SAME device as the older version.

I kept both versions of the app. The new version supports Dropbox, whereas the old version only supported file transfer via iTunes.

I know there's nothing you can do now since the old SB has already been removed.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

I don't use Textastic, but probably their way to store documents allows to share files between applications. It may be some iCloud storage or any another sharing mechanism which is allowed for text editors like Textastic but which was absent in smart BASIC because programming applications are very limited in their sharing abilities.