Smart BASIC is discontinued

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Smart BASIC is discontinued

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Old version of smart BASIC is removed from App Store.

BUT

New version 6.0 is released as a new "BASIC" programming language application:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/basic-pro ... 1540244170
This is a refurbished "smart BASIC", with Dropbox removed. All known bugs are fixed. It is made 100% compliant with modern Apple guidelines.

During the first week, the new "BASIC" programming language application is distributed for free. This is done that all active users of smart BASIC could install the new application for free. This free giveaway will last from 16.11.2020 till 24.11.2020. Then it will be sold for its full price.

andsoc024
My devices: iPhone 11, iPad Pro
Flag: Cyprus

Re: Smart BASIC is discontinued

Post by andsoc024 »

I am making a note to download it after the 24th. You deserve to be supported for maintaining smartBasic all this time.

piquadratpi2

Post by piquadratpi2 »

Many thanks for this 'update'. Great that you stil upkeep this great little program!

mmtuk
My devices: iPad Pro’, various PC's, loads of old MacBooks, even more old MIDI synths, interfaces, wind synths, FX units, mixers - in fact, an Aladdin’s cave of big boys toys! (and a wife to hide it all from)

Post by mmtuk »

Thanks for the heads up, I was amazed to get the email.
Any further development or have you finished with SMART BASIC?

MCG
My devices: iPad Pro 12.9

Post by MCG »

Wow, I’m glad to see development is continuing.

Is there any chance our programs from Smart BASIC can be imported into this new BASIC and still run? Or have the syntax/commands changed? Also, how would we transfer them?

Thanks for the notification!

BobRichards
My devices: iPad Pro
Flag: United States of America

Post by BobRichards »

I agree with andsoc24 and will download later. In the meantime I'm anxiously awaiting a response to MCG regarding moving existing files to the new app. In addition, will we be able to save specific files to the Apple cloud?
Thanks.

davey110
My devices: iPod touch 5
iPad mini
Flag: Canada

Post by davey110 »

Glad to be notified of this update of this excellent program, although any bugs I ever came across have been fixed. I have downloaded it already. I too am awaiting word on importing programs from the old version. Copy/Paste will be very tedious for the dozens of programs I have written. Also I am always leery of iOS updates, as very often some older apps will not run on a new iOS. Hopefully this new BASIC is written in such a way that it has a good chance of running on new iOS versions. (Yes, I know there is no way of knowing what future changes will be - only hoping that some things will stay the same).
Keep up the good work, Mr. Kibernetik.

Walter
My devices: iPad 3, iPod Touch 5

Post by Walter »

Hey, thanks for letting us know you have this back in the store!

I moved my programs by pushing them all to DropBox in the old app, downloading them onto my desktop, opening each one to copy code and paste it on my device via the shared clipboard. Not super easy, but I won't complain. I'm just happy there was an update and I could move my code over.

All the programs I remember having in a working state in the old app worked great in the new app. Compatibility looks very good.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

It is supposed to keep BASIC working in future iOS releases.

New BASIC v6 is 100% compatible with all BASIC programs written in smart BASIC. All your previous programs should work in new BASIC app exactly the same way as they were working in smart BASIC.

There is no Dropbox in BASIC v6. But now BASIC complies with modern iOS "sharing" mechanism. This means that text documents, images, sounds, fonts and directories can be loaded into iOS "Files" application and then shared with BASIC in just one click. Or these files can be loaded in BASIC from any other app which supports file sharing feature.
The same way any file or folder in BASIC can be shared with any other application in IOS by tapping new "Share" button in the files section in BASIC v6.

Bootlebarth
My devices: Ipad 5
Flag: Australia

Post by Bootlebarth »

Hi Mr Kibernetik

In the Apple app store the new version is said to be iMac compatible with 10.12 or later.

When I try to GET/INSTALL I see 'Purchase could not be completed'.

Previously I've used Smart Basic (what an excellent app!) on my iPad only.

What must I do to run the new version on my iMac?

Keep up the good work :D