I'm stumped.

sarossell
My devices: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Flag: United States of America

Re: I'm stumped.

Post by sarossell »

Thank YOU for such wonderful support and an excellent application!

I am a technical writer by trade and for my own edification created a PDF document outlining the procedure I was finally able to use. I've attached it. Please feel free to use it, ignore it, or correct it (if necessary) as you deem fit.

smart BASIC Rocks!
Attachments
Simple Procedure for Adding Smart BASIC to Xcode.pdf
(463.16 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
smart BASIC Rocks!

- Scott : San Diego, California

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Re: I'm stumped. [Resolved]

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Thank you very much for your compilation!

sarossell

Post by sarossell »

Happy to contribute in any way I can. :@)

Is there a tutorial on how to build and side load apps to iOS devices? I succeeded in building for the simulators, but when I try to build for an attached iPad, the build fails with three errors (see image).
Attachments
errors.png
errors.png (170.94 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
smart BASIC Rocks!

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Seems there are more restrictions in Xcode 8.
I tried to remove in-app purchases from smart BASIC library, because this feature was implemented but never used. Please re-download the SDK.

Regarding other errors, please try to solve code signing difficulties - they should be typical for all iOS developers who try to deploy their app. It will be VERY useful if you will be able to create a similar instruction how to resolve the code-signing mess to run a new app on a device. My developer account is already settled (it was really not so easy), so I cannot repeat the steps again. As far as I know, nowadays it is not necessary to buy an Apple Developer license to launch an app on testing device. Please let me know if SDK should be corrected in any way.

sarossell

Post by sarossell »

I've updated the procedures for Adding smart BASIC to Xcode to include detailed instructions for Simulator and Ad-Hoc (device) distribution. Feel free to do with it as you see fit. I hope you find it useful and informative. (see attached.)
Attachments
(615.95 KiB) Downloaded 868 times
smart BASIC Rocks!

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

Thank you very much for your tutorial!
One note: iOS Simulator is not always slower. It depends on the speed of your iDevice and your host computer. If device is slower than computer, iOS Simulator will be faster. For example when I was using iPad with MacBook, iPad run much slower than Simulator, so I preferred to execute long tasks on Simulator rather than iPad :D Only when iPhone 5S was out, iDevice speed began to match with the speed of Simulator of my MacBook. And now my iPad Air 2 is much faster than Simulator on my old MacBook. Also, usually computer has more RAM, so maybe it is better to run memory-hungry programs on Simulator.
So, it all depends on your devices, not that iOS Simulator is always slower.

sarossell

Post by sarossell »

Ah, mea culpa. That's encouraging to hear. My experience has been limited to a mid-2011 MacBook Air, a 2010 MacBook Pro and a 2011 Mac mini. I suppose if I had a computer that wasn't half a decade old, I might have noticed better performance. Sadly, I'm not too thrilled with the development of the Mac line, so I haven't upgraded. I may be lacking power, but at least I have a keyboard that feels comfortable to use instead of that new stunted "brick" feel and I don't have to carry a bag full of dongles to connect up my stuff. Hopefully soon, Apple will drag us all beyond these dark dongle days and we'll all be standardized on one port format, probably USB-C. But Apple has done that before. Remember Firewire? Remember Thunderbolt? v2? v3? Heck, remember Magsafe for power? (I love that). Now it's USB-C, but for how long? My MacBook Pro may be pushing seven years old, but it has ALL of those ports built in and it still runs macOS Sierra like a champ...well, until I pull up an iOS simulator... :@( I'll update the procedure PDF with the information you provided so it sounds less demeaning to the lowly sims.
smart BASIC Rocks!

sarossell

Post by sarossell »

I've updated the procedures for Adding smart BASIC to Xcode to correct observations regarding functional speed of simulators in varying hardware programming environments. Feel free to do with it as you see fit. I hope you find it useful and informative. (see attached.)
Attachments
(618.22 KiB) Downloaded 963 times
smart BASIC Rocks!

sarossell

Post by sarossell »

I've updated the procedures for Adding smart BASIC to Xcode to include procedures for optimizing compiled app size by replacing the "default_bank.sf2" file. Feel free to do with it as you see fit. I hope you find it useful and informative. (see attached.)
Attachments
(649.7 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times
smart BASIC Rocks!