My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Re: Keyboard Issue with iOS 11

Post by rbytes »

Yes, but leaving Capsyntax off solves that issue for me. I can create proper quotes and apostrophes by just holding the key down for a second and picking the right character. I just choose the ones with vertical slashes. All programs created in previous iOS versions run with no problems.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

Yes, but leaving Capsyntax off solves that issue for me. I can create proper quotes and apostrophes by just holding the key down for a second and picking the right character. I just choose the ones with vertical slashes. All programs created in previous iOS versions run with no problems.

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

If you wanted to you could temporarily disable Capsyntax, but it’s not absolutely necessary as long as the issue is documented. At some time in the future you might be able to recode sB to recognize either “ or " as a quote and ‘ or ' as an apostrophe. Then Capsyntax would be usable again. But some programmers have rarely used Capsyntax. Henk comes to mind. I can accept either way.

Just had another thought. Let’s make a program to put in Examples, that searches a file and replaces the wrong characters. :D

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

I had an idea how to fix a program after Capsyntax processes it in iOS 11.

I used my program Substitution, which is found at
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1867

I made a copy of Dav’s “ASCII Characters.sb” program. With Capsyntax on, I made a couple of small changes to the text and then changed them back. I could see that all quotes and apostrophes had converted to the new angled shapes except for those on comment lines at the start of the program. Not sure why those didn’t change, but they did not affect the final result.

I ran Substitution and entered ‘ as the search character and ' as the replace character. Pressing the Run button instantly changed every new apostrophe in the program code back to the original character. Next I made “ the search character and " the replace character. Another Run, and all occurrences of that quote character were changed. When I scrolled through the changed code, I could see some additional angled quotes. They were not the same character as the first angled quotes. That’s when I realized that Apple now uses two different quote marks, an opening and a closing quote, and you can see the difference. “”

No matter. I entered the Apple closing quote as the search character and the original quote as the replace character. Once again I hit the Run button. Done!

Finally I saved the file. The extension was .sbr, with the r automatically added by Substitution so as to not overwrite the source file. I changed the extender to .txt, and ASCII Characters ran perfectly. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If anyone is interested I could write a shorter version using the same conversion techniques, that would process and change only quotes and apostrophes.