Quote workaround.

tompan
My devices: iphone
Flag: United States of America

Quote workaround.

Post by tompan »

On my iphone i found that i cant create text strings. The problem is that my keyboard gives me quote marks that are at an angle. To create a text string Smart BASIC needs quotation marks that are straight. The creators would be kind to allow quote marks at any angle to work. But for the rest of us here is the workaround: Find an example that has a text string in a PRINT or SAY TEXT statement and copy that to your program, then edit the contents to say what you want in your program without changing the straight quotes.

This took me a few days to figure out.

rbytes
My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Re: Quote workaround.

Post by rbytes »

You can also just press and hold the quote or apostrophe key. You’ll see other choices appear above. The straight quote or apostrophe will be just above your finger. Slide up to it and then release.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

davey110
My devices: iPod touch 5
iPad mini

Post by davey110 »

Thanks for posting this solution to a serious problem! Seems that this has just appeared in iOS 11. It had me worried for awhile. Press & hold is a satisfactory solution, but I don’t know if it’s documented anywhere.

rbytes
My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet

Post by rbytes »

There are actually two threads where this is being discussed. In the other one, a member contributed the information that you can revert iOS to the old punctuation by going to Settings - General- Keyboard and switching off Smart Punctuation. Now you will have dumb punctuation but Smart Basic will be a lot smarter. :lol:
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

davey110
My devices: iPod touch 5
iPad mini

Post by davey110 »

That's even better. And then a Bluetooth keyboard works properly too. It's easy to enable & disable as required if you leave Settings open in the background. Thanks for posting this little tidbit.