Search found 59 matches

by davey110
Thu Oct 08, 2026 3:33 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

Thank you. I think I did read about the x+= in the “distant past”, but have never used it, so never think of it. I have never understood Scope variables. Thank you for the brief explanation - that may get me started. I have never “gotten into” these more obscure functions. I think they would make de...
by davey110
Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:25 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

I am impressed with your version! Your layout makes it look very simple. I see you also introduced an “air friction” force, presumably to prevent situations where the spring lengths become negative, causing situations like the lower weight going above the upper one etc. which eventually happens with...
by davey110
Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:22 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

It’s crazy, but none of the usual ways would work. But It worked on my phone, so I copied it there & texted it to my iPad then copied to SmartBASIC. One of the simpler tricks I have to do when things go wrong. (My iPad is getting too old). The program runs fine, but I haven’t looked at the code yet.
by davey110
Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:38 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

A couple more comments: I hadn’t thought about applying the air drag to the Force, I thought of it as reducing the velocity so applied it there. I think the effect would be the same, since (a) is proportional to Force. I’m not trying to get the numbers of a real system model, only the “picture” of a...
by davey110
Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:00 am
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

As a start, I added an “acceleration factor”, af, making the equation a=af*f/m in both places where the equation is used. With values of around af=0.1 and also REMing out the air drag in both places [v=v*(1-.0001*v^2)], the whole thing plays out with a very nice looking resonance. However, I still h...
by davey110
Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:00 am
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

As a start, I added an “acceleration factor”, af, making the equation a=af*f/m in both places where the equation is used. With values of around af=0.1 and also REMing out the air drag in both places [v=v*(1-.0001*v^2)], the whole thing plays out with a very nice looking resonance. However, I still h...
by davey110
Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:14 am
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"
Replies: 11
Views: 271
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

Thank you for your detailed comments. They are very helpful. I have to look at them in detail. At 1st glance I’m not sure if I have explained my method clearly. 1) The velocity & acceleration are per “t”, not per actual second. At least that’s what I intended. Therefore d=.5*a*t^2 reduces to d=a/2, ...
by davey110
Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:39 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Mass on Spring Resonance
Replies: 14
Views: 43266
Flag: Canada

Re: Mass on Spring Resonance

Sounds interesting. Does it use the same “incremental changes” method? Or does it use actual equations? I have never tried 4, only 3 (Sun, Moon, & Satellite). I also made it work as Earth, Moon, & the Artemis II recent loop around the moon. I can post it if you’re interested.
by davey110
Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:10 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Mass on Spring Resonance
Replies: 14
Views: 43266
Flag: Canada

Re: Mass on Spring Resonance

Dutchman- Did you see the replies here? And my posting under this topic (BASIC Programs) ? (You indicated interest in it.)
by davey110
Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:54 pm
Forum: BASIC programs
Topic: Mass on Spring Resonance
Replies: 14
Views: 43266
Flag: Canada

Re: Mass on Spring Resonance

Yes. You found it ok then?