My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Re: Keyboard Issue with iOS 11

Post by rbytes »

What is the best way to make that demand? I have tried multiple times to reach someone higher up in the Apple chain of command, but Apple “Customer Service” has stonewalled me every time.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Linux i386
Windows 7 & 10
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn »

Well, I do not plan to update my iPad, as other software, including photo editing and even MS Word and other programs will not longer work as well.

Right now I have many apps that get error messages now because the designer did not update for iOS Version 10!

All I am asking is 1) Can you instead of updating SmartBASIC, leave it as-is for those who will not update immediately to iOS 11, and create a new product, for example, iOSBASIC, for Version 11+, and 2) What would others here who use the product prefer? Would we be willing to pay again for Version 11+ of SmartBASIC?

In otherwords, have you thought about creating a new product instead of an update as it will be missing a lot of features we rely on now, that people are making money from them who will no longer be able to, depending how much you have to gut out of SB.

I think rather than fight Apple with an update, tell them that SmartBASIC is done, and you are creating a brand new product with a different name, and then it will be treated differently. You will make the changes they ask and let the public decide whether they want to upgrade their tablets, and purchase the new BASIC when they are ready to upgrade their iPads/iPhones.

For I am pretty sure that there will be a period of time where 1) there will be a learning curve for the updates you make to the product, 2) there will be issues with iOS 11 like there was for 10, and 3) There will be a period of time for people to understand how 11 affects the way apps work. I am pretty sure Apple will be putting out new policies that will take time to deliver.

And I am asking you and everyone, what would be the best way to do the update.

And it may be a mute point, for if I do not update my OS, then some Apps will not update until I have the new OS. If SmartBASIC's new version will not overwrite the version that runs on version 10, Then I can keep what I have until I am ready to upgrade.

The talk is that this upgrade is not being taken to as quickly as others in the past. And I do not want to lose Functionality unless I understand any new rules for apps or any other BS Apple wants to enforce.

XCode will also have to be upgraded, and I am guessing that your SDK will need to change as well. Your SDK does have the Dropbox SDK embedded in it. So that will need to come out. And the binaries will need to be replaced, and maybe changes to control files.

I just do not want to wind up with a mismatch with a SmartBASIC that runs on 11 but I have not upgraded my OS to it, and it would be nice to hear what others feel about this.

Also, is there any place that tells us what other changes are we getting with the new basic besides pulling out Dropbox.

George.
Mr. Kibernetik wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:44 pm
All those users who own sB and update iOS to 11 will get unusable software. So they will demand an update.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Dutchman
My devices: iMac, iPad Air, iPhone
Flag: Netherlands

Post by Dutchman »

GeorgeMcGinn wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:52 pm
• Well, I do not plan to update my iPad, as other software, including photo editing and even MS Word and other programs will not longer work as well.

• What would others here who use the product prefer? Would we be willing to pay again for Version 11+ of SmartBASIC?

• And I am asking you and everyone, what would be the best way to do the update.
• I have experienced that at a certain moment the update is forced, unless you stay unconnected from internet
* I would pay again and again for an up-to-date version of SB. It is only a small amount of money for each user, but it will pay the developer for his efforts.
• My preferred option would be that in Safari you could 'open' a linked file in Smart Basic, AND that you can send a file from SmartBasic via e-mail AND file-sharing with Smart Basic via iTunes.

However, I fear that Apple will not allow any of these wishes. Perhaps the nationality of the designer is a problem? :P

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Linux i386
Windows 7 & 10
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn »

Actually, most apps move files from a webserver, especially games.

So downloading from a website should be allowable, and I already have written a program that downloads files from the internet. I've been having some issues with my server provider (ISP) in getting uploads from SB to work.

Seems I have errors on the CGI-BIN side they need to fix before I pull my machine and place it with someone else. (I have two dedicated webservers, but only one is running now, My Mac G5 Xserve has to get a new power supply.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

I would also pay for a major upgrade of Smart Basic. I agree that Mr. K. deserves a fair return for his time.

From the discussions about my question on the Apple Forum, I got the following ideas and suggestions. As you can see, they are all over the map:

Send an appeal letter (on paper) to Apple’s main address.
I have no stake in any appeal for Smart Basic because I am not the developer.
Apple may not like SB on the Store because if someone can make their own app-like programs, that may reduce the sales of other paid apps.
Pythonista has a right to have a Dropbox connection because it is very popular. (I took that to mean that if an app isn’t as popular, it doesn’t!)
Don’t make waves. If someone on the App Store review team takes a dislike to you, they can kick you off the Store.
There is no Apple appeal process.
Maybe Apple actually likes and is protecting Mr. K., because they are allowing him to publish under a pseudonym.

And finally from an even more senior member: discussions about Apple policies are not allowed on this Forum. Apparently I agreed to that when I signed up. Interesting that some very high-ranked members also had to be reminded.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

GeorgeMcGinn wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:52 pm
All I am asking is 1) Can you instead of updating SmartBASIC, leave it as-is for those who will not update immediately to iOS 11, and create a new product, for example, iOSBASIC, for Version 11+, and 2) What would others here who use the product prefer? Would we be willing to pay again for Version 11+ of SmartBASIC?
Currently smart BASIC is frozen and is removed from App Store because I cannot sell non-functional software (it is broken in iOS 11). Also I cannot update it - it will lose Dropbox support. This situation has no good solution.
I suspected that Apple will kill sB sooner or later - each iOS update is a heavy blow to app stability, and I cannot support software eternally if Apple's behavior is so destructive.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

rbytes wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm
Maybe Apple actually likes and is protecting Mr. K., because they are allowing him to publish under a pseudonym.
They don't.
At first they registered me under a pseudonym "Mr.Kibernetik", but one year later they said that pseudonyms are not allowed and that they either remove me from the Store or change the developer name to the credit card holder name which was used for payment (actually my wife's credit card). I chose second option, so since then all my apps are selling by "Elena Kolchina" :)

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

This situation has no good solution.

Even though I am now learning SPL and enjoying working with it, I would not want to lose Smart Basic. My ecosystem is still built around Apple products - iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch. I don’t know how I would duplicate such a seamless environment under Windows.

To me, far better a Smart Basic without Dropbox than no Smart Basic at all. I think we have enough transfer techniques now to function ok without Dropbox. We could teach those techniques to new buyers if they join the Forum.

How serious are the iOS 11 problems? Are they solvable? Could you make it a paid upgrade and call it 2.0?

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

I have been testing all of the SB programs I use on a regular basis since my upgrade to iOS 11 and they are running fine.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

rbytes wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm
I have been testing all of the SB programs I use on a regular basis since my upgrade to iOS 11 and they are running fine.
You do not get bad quotes?