New user area?

tdg8934
My devices: iPhone 6s
Flag: United States of America

New user area?

Post by tdg8934 »

I have an iPhone 6s with Smart Basic and DropBox. Is there an area for new user questions? I’m reading the Smart Basic help are over and over and reviewing example programs. So much to take in! But excellent results due to Smart Basic!

I see program listings on this website with attachments but I can’t figure out how to copy the program listings. I click on Select All at the top of the program listing but don’t see a way to copy. When I think I have it and paste it into Smart Basic, all that it pastes in is an http link and not the actual program code. Help here please?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2167
45FF5650-5137-4E6B-AB2D-9F07BDAFE2DA.png
45FF5650-5137-4E6B-AB2D-9F07BDAFE2DA.png (263.67 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Thank you - Tim

rbytes
My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Re: New user area?

Post by rbytes »

There isn't an actual new user area, although that sounds like a great idea. Other Topics is the usual place to post a question about how things work. You are right - copying code is more difficult than it should be. It is not a fault in Smart Basic. The Forum is based on software from PHBB, and they have never bothered to implement the SELECT ALL button for Apple's standard browser, Safari.

What most of us do is this:
1. click and hold on a word somewhere in the middle of the code until a selection box appears.
2. drag the start selection handle (blue dot) upward until it reaches the start of the code.
3. drag the end selection handle (the other blue dot) downward until it reaches the bottom of the code.
4. if either the start or end of the code is beyond the screen, you can scroll it by dragging on the unselected area until the selected area is almost off the screen.
5. then scroll the selection handle as far as you can to select this text.
6. repeat until all code is selected.
7. now all the code should be highlighted in blue.
8. a black popup will appear with editing choices. Select COPY.

Now you can launch Smart Basic and paste the code in. Check the start and end of the code to make sure you didn't copy anything extra that isn't code.

I know this explanation seems like a lot of work, but trust me - with experience, you can do all of these steps and have the code pasted into SB faster than you can read the steps!!

There are other options, but best to wait to use them until you have more experience:
1. Use a different browser that does support Select All
2. Use a web download program created by Dutchman in Smart Basic
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Thank you. I was almost there with the copying. I copy and pasted the code in then copy pasted renamed the png files. All is working! It is a very nice program. I really appreciate your help.

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

You're welcome. When you get really good at SB I hope you will have some programs to share.

I should have an update to this one by tomorrow. I added some sound to the spinner. :D

tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Thank you. That’s great about the sound. That’s exactly what I was thinking was that it needed some whirling noise. Great to hear your following up and making programs the best they can be.

I really like this Smart Basic program!

Tim

Dav
My devices: iPad Mini, iPod Touch.

Post by Dav »

Hi!

"Puffin" Browser for ipad will copy smart basic code from the forum fast and easy. That's what I'm using now when copying code from the forum.

- Dav

rbytes
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes »

I have had Puffin browser for a while because it could play Flash animations. I didn't realize it could do a better job on SELECT ALL. Thanks!

Dav
My devices: iPad Mini, iPod Touch.

Post by Dav »

Yes, SELECT ALL will highlight all the code. Then go to menu and select Keyboad,which will pop up the keyboard and show the COPY button. Easy to paste into other apps.

- Dav