Copy files between BASIC v6 and other apps

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin
My devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
Flag: Russia

Copy files between BASIC v6 and other apps

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

In the video "get from dropbox.mp4" I get the whole collection of smart BASIC files from Dropbox to the new application "BASIC".

I do the following:
1. In Safari I go to www.dropbox.com website and download the whole "smart BASIC" application folder. It gets saved as a ZIP archive into the "Files" application.
2. I switch to "Files" app and press this ZIP archive. It gets unzipped into a folder.
3. I share this unzipped folder with "BASIC" application.

===========================

In the video "sharing files.mp4" I copy the "Examples" folder from BASIC to the standard iOS "Files" app, then delete "Examples" folder in BASIC, then copy the "Examples" folder back from the "Files" app to BASIC.

The "Files" application in iOS is a default files hub, you can easily transfer files between "Files" and any other application.
Also the standard iOS "Share" feature allows to transfer files not only using "Files" app but also using lots of other files sources and destinations.

Please note the "Share" icon in the bottom toolbar in the files section of BASIC. It is used to transfer files and folders from BASIC to the outer world.
Text files, images, sound files, TTF fonts, sound fonts - all these file types are supported for files transfer between BASIC and other apps.
Attachments
get from dropbox.mp4
(32.63 MiB) Downloaded 629 times
sharing files.mp4
(52.48 MiB) Downloaded 583 times

marlin55
My devices: iPad Pro + Windows PC
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Copy files between BASIC and other apps

Post by marlin55 »

Thanks for posting the video.

I see the icons at the bottom of the first screen shown in the video include a 'share' option. My smart BASIC 5.8 does not have this option.

I have 'delete' 'paste' 'cut' 'copy' 'rename' 'new folder' and a cloud icon which toggles between 'dropbox' and 'local'.

Please can you clarify.

Thanks

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Re: Copy files between BASIC and other apps

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

marlin55 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:32 am
Thanks for posting the video.

I see the icons at the bottom of the first screen shown in the video include a 'share' option. My smart BASIC 5.8 does not have this option.

I have 'delete' 'paste' 'cut' 'copy' 'rename' 'new folder' and a cloud icon which toggles between 'dropbox' and 'local'.

Please can you clarify.

Thanks
This video is recorded in BASIC v6.0.
BASIC v6 has a different way of transferring files than previous versions. Please note that it is another application, not smart BASIC v5.8.

marlin55
My devices: iPad Pro + Windows PC
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Copy files between BASIC v6 and other apps

Post by marlin55 »

Thanks - I realise that v5.8 is a different application to v6.0.

I'm trying to share my v5.8 programs with the new v6.0 which I've downloaded.

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

marlin55 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:07 pm
Thanks - I realise that v5.8 is a different application to v6.0.

I'm trying to share my v5.8 programs with the new v6.0 which I've downloaded.
My suggestion:
install Dropbox application and export all files you need to the "Files" application. Then you can share these files with the BASIC app as shown in this video.

rbytes
My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Post by rbytes »

Once I move a folder from Smart Basic 5.8 to Dropbox, when I try to Export the folder from Dropbox to Downloads, the Export button is ghosted! This happens on both my iPhone 11 Pro Max and my iPad Pro 11. I haven't been able to figure out a workaround.

Next I decided I would go into the folder, select all the files and copy them to Downloads. Then in Downloads, I would have to create a folder, move all the files into it, and then send the folder to Smart Basic 6. I estimate it will take me 205 years to move all my stuff. I'm hoping someone has a workaround.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

For those who need to transfer files from their old smart BASIC Dropbox folder into the new BASIC app, I updated the first post in the topic with new video example.

rbytes
My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 11
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet

Post by rbytes »

I wondered why you had to go to dropbox.com to download a folder. It seemed it would be faster exporting the folder directly from the Dropbox app. I found the answer today in a 2 1/2 year old post on a Dropbox help page. It seems Dropbox iOS wasn't provided a function to export folders. The answer from a Dropbox agent was 'use your Windows or Mac desktop Dropbox application, download from the website [as you suggest], or just copy all files in the folder individually and make a new folder for them in the Files app" He promised he would let the Dropbox team know about the need for folder export in Dropbox iOS. I just sent them a reminder.
The only thing that gets me down is gravity...

davey110
My devices: iPod touch 5
iPad mini

Post by davey110 »

Mr. Kibernetik wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 am
In the video "get from dropbox.mp4" I get the whole collection of smart BASIC files from Dropbox to the new application "BASIC".]

There is no Share option in BASIC 5.8. BASIC does not show in my Files folder. How do you get it there? The Browse button in Files doesn't do anything. BASIC does not show for uploading to Google Drive etc. The HowTo video will not play on my iPad.

Where do I go from here to get the files onto BASIC 6? Copy/Pasting text will take forever!

Can BASIC 6 not be given access to the old files?

Mr. Kibernetik
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Kibernetik »

davey110 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 pm
There is no Share option in BASIC 5.8. BASIC does not show in my Files folder. How do you get it there? The Browse button in Files doesn't do anything.
As you can see from the video, smart BASIC files are downloaded to the Files app from the dropbox website.